Thanks for your tips and sorry for my delayed response. For some reason I didn't get an email notification.
I tried the plugins you suggested. Some worked better than others (I wasn't able to try Qordoba).
The best result was with Sketch Excel Translate, but there is one serious issue with this plugin -- it formats the entire text layer in a homogeneous way, based on the first character in the text layer. So if for example the English (source) version has a few words in bold, or some words in a different color, or varying font sizes in the same text layer — all that unique formatting will be ignored and the target language will be without those.
Since people are able to extract the text and create these 3rd party plug-ins, I'm convinced that there must be some way to manually do what I'm looking to do. I just can't figure out how.
I did find the JSON files containing all text content within the Sketch file. I believe these JSON files are what I'm looking for. But my test replacing the English text with Spanish text resulted in corrupting the Sketch file. I must be doing something wrong in how I unzip/rezip the Sketch file.
This is what I tried (which failed);
- Unzipped the Sketch file using 7-zip (in Windows environment).
- Translated the English text in the JSON files (located in the "pages" folder) into Spanish.
- Re-zipped the file/folder structure using 7-zip
- Changed the .zip extension to .sketch
- Moved the file to Mac environment and opened the file in Sketch
- Got an error message: "Some problems were found... opening it may result in some or all content being lost..."
- If I ignore the error message and continue to open the file in Sketch, the pages are blank
Am I doing something wrong?