Newbie question, here (lots of them).
So, I've been going through documentation on publishing plugins and appcast / sparkle. I might just be missing sth obvious, but I can't seem to figure out how to set it up in the simplest form, and I also have some general questions.
I have read the following:
- dug through docs on Sketchpacks (Sketch runner doesn't have any...),
- as well as looked at other plugins to try and reverse engineer what they're doing.
Goal: I want to release a plugin from a private repo with auto-updating, to an internal closed audience. Repo is on Bitbucket (in case it matters that it's not on Github). I want to be able to run a single command that does all the versioning things and publishes to where I want it.
- Are there any resources or tutorials for this, specifically? If not, could anyone here provide a quick step-by-step?
- How do sparkle and appcast relate? From what i've figured out, sparkle is Apple's implementation of the appcast format into their own tools. Do I even need sparkle for a plugin? Isn't that Sketch's job?
- How do appcast and npm (ie, package.json) relate? It seems like I can just put whatever I versioning I want in either. Does this matter? Should they be kept (or is it useful to keep them) in sync? How can they share values between the two?
skpm publish does all its publishing to Github and even automates pull requests. Although really nice and easy, it also seems dangerous if done inadvertently by someone not familiar with the repo. Perhaps this should be a separate package to skpm (potential feature request)? How can I hijack
skpm publish to publish to where I want it?
Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!